- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook the pasta until tender. Drain.
In a small bowl, combine the panko and parsley. Set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Add the cheese, stirring constantly until thick and creamy. Add the macaroni, tomatoes, basil and salt. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the reserved panko mixture. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes.