- 1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the House Seasoning, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Rub seasoning into the roast on both sides. Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the roast, searing it on both sides. Place the meat in a roaster pan. Add onions and garlic to skillet for 1 to 2 minutes to absorb leftover roast juice. Place into roaster pan with meat and bay leaves.
Combine the mushroom soup, wine, Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon into a bowl. Pour over the roast. Add water.
Cover pan with foil and bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until tender.
Remove and discard the bay leaves.
*Cook's Note: If the gravy is not thick enough, remove the meat from the pan and pour the gravy into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and thicken it by adding 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water, stirring constantly.
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients and store in an air tight container for up to 6 months.