- 5 pounds red and white table potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Blue Cheese Dressing, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large shallow roasting pan with nonstick aluminum foil.
In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, tossing gently to coat. Arrange the potatoes, in a single layer, on the prepared pan. Bake until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions; cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and add the vinegar. Stir until the vinegar evaporates, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (5-ounce) container crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper