- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 pounds boneless beef roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 red chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 1 tablespoon roasted ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 12-ounce bottle dark Mexican beer
- 3 tablespoons masa harina
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- Red chiles
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Sprinkle the beef with the salt and some pepper. Cook the beef, in 4 batches, until browned, about 4 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and keep warm.
Add the red chiles, jalapenos, onions and poblano peppers to the Dutch oven. Cook until the peppers are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the broth, chili powder, ancho chile pepper, cumin, garlic powder, tomato sauce and beer. Stir in the beef and any beef juices. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until the beef is tender, about 2 hours.
Add the masa harina, stirring until the mixture is thickened. Serve with desired toppings.