- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 serrano chile, more or less, optional
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- Grated queso fresco, or Cotija cheese, optional
Rinse the tomatillos under cold water. Put them in a pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil, over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, until their color has changed and they are cooked and soft but not falling apart, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatillos to a blender along with the chile, the garlic clove and a teaspoon of salt. Puree until smooth. Stir in the chopped cilantro and onion. Taste for salt and add more, if necessary. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with cheese, if desired.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.