- 1 1/2 -pounds fresh sea scallops
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Flour, for dusting
- 3/4 cup sherry or dry white wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated Gruyere
Season scallops with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and basil. Dust scallops with flour. Saute in a pan that has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray and a small amount of olive oil. Cook scallops on both sides until browned. Remove scallops from pan.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons flour. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour shallots, mushrooms, and liquid from scallops into flour mixture. Mix well. Stir scallops into sauce. (If too thick, you can thin with clam juice or fish or chicken stock.)
Transfer to 4 individual baking dishes, top with cheese, and broil for 1 minute, until browned. Serve with wild rice.