- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 pound thick slab bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery stalk with leave, diced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 pound dried split peas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 to 3 quarts chicken stock
- House Seasoning, recipe follows
- Salt and pepper
Melt butter in Dutch oven. Add bacon and saute until tender. Add onions, celery, carrots and pork sausage. Combine together and start with 2 quarts of chicken stock. Add more later if necessary. Add salt, pepper and house seasoning. Add peas and cook on low temperature simmering for about 2 hours.
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup onion powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.