Shrimp and Chocolate Tortilla Soup
- Total Time:
- 55 min
- 15 min
- 40 min
- 8 to 10 servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Sour cream, for garnish
2 tablespoons butter
In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until tender. Add cocoa, cumin, coriander, red pepper, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and corn. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Puree the soup using an emersion blender or hand-held mixer. Add the tortilla chips and add shrimp. Place the pan on low heat, cover, and simmer the soup about 5 to 10 minutes or until the shrimp are just cooked.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen