Shrimp and Grits
- 2 servings cooked grits
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced tasso ham*
- 2 tablespoons diced leeks
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced green peppers
- 20 medium to large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, with tails on
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Green onion tops, chopped
- *Cook's Note: Tasso is a Cajun ham and is often hard to find outside of Louisiana, but you can find it at some specialty gourmet shops or by mail order. If not, you can substitute salt pork, pancetta, or prosciutto, but you will have to beef up your seasonings, as tasso is very flavorful.
Cook grits according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tasso and saute until crisp. Add diced vegetables and saute until onions are translucent. Add shrimp and saute for 30 to 45 seconds, or until pink. Remove from the pan and set aside. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine. Slowly add the cream and let reduce until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
For a great wedding idea, use martini glasses to serve shrimp and grits, with the grits on the bottom and shrimp and sauce on top.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.