- 4 mirlitons
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 pound shrimp, peeled, tailed, deveined and chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add about a 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning. Add the mirliton, lower the heat and cook for 30 to 45 minutes until it is the consistency of a soft potato. Drain mirliton. Put a knife in the crease, cut the mirliton in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, leaving at least 1/4-inch all around. Set pulp aside. Turn upside down to let them mirliton drain.
In skillet over medium heat melt butter and add chopped vegetables until soft; about 5 to 10 minutes. Chop the mirliton pulp and add to skillet. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and the shrimp and stir to combine. Stir in the bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper, to taste.