Smashed Potato Pancakes
- 6 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a large Dutch oven, add the potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat, and simmer until tender about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well and add to a large bowl.
Mash the potatoes with the garlic and salt and pepper. Fold in 2 1/2 cups of the panko, the egg, cheese, bacon, onion, butter, and the sour cream. Form the potato mixture into 3-inch patties. Put the remaining 1 cup of panko in a shallow dish and dredge the potato patties in the crumbs.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the potato patties, and cook until brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Arrange on a serving platter and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray