- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions
- 8 medium portobello mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups white roux (1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour; cook slowly over low heat)
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Croutons, sour cream, and sliced chives, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine 1/4 cup of olive oil and 3 drops of liquid smoke. Toss 4 of the Portobello mushrooms in oil mixture and roast them in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. Chop mushrooms into cubes. In a large pot, saute the onions in olive oil. Once onions are sauteed, add uncooked portobello mushrooms and garlic. After mushrooms and garlic are cooked add roasted mushrooms, white wine and chicken broth and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and place mixture in blender. Add roux to pot. Blend in heavy cream. Place mixture back in pot on stove and add roux. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish with croutons, sour cream and sliced chives.