Southern Cornbread Salad
- 1 batch cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes, recipe follows
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can niblet corn, drained
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle ranch dressing
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 1/4 cup for greasing pan
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
In the bottom of a large glass bowl, place cornbread cubes. Layer beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and cheese on top of cornbread. Spread ranch dressing evenly over cheese. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.Cornbread:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Generously season a cast iron skillet with up to 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Preheat the pan either in the oven or on the stove over medium-high heat.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Pour batter into the preheated cast iron skillet. Place skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. If making individual size cornbreads in smaller pans, they will require a shorter cooking time.
Yield: 8 servings