Spanish Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 chicken, cut legs, drumsticks and thighs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Spanish style chorizo links, cut into slices on the bias
- 2 cups short-grain rice (recommended: Valencia or Arborio)
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- Lemon wedges, for service
Heat a paella pan or very large, shallow skillet or pot, preferably with 2 handles over high heat.
Cook's note: A large cast iron skillet would work here.
Lower the heat to medium and saute the onions and bell pepper until softened. Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and chorizo. Bring the liquid to a boil and then stir in the rice and saffron. Add the browned chicken pieces. The rice should be completely covered with liquid. Cook the paella without stirring for 20 minutes. When the liquid has all been absorbed, pour the peas over the top of the pot, turn off the heat and cover the pot with a kitchen towel. Let stand 5 minutes and then serve with lemon wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.