Spicy Corn and Crab Puffs
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 -ounce) box self-rising corn muffin mix
- 1 pound lump or backfin crabmeat, well drained and picked clean of shells
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 5 green onions, white and light green parts, trimmed and chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce (recommended: Paula Deen's Hot Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Stir in the corn muffin mix. Fold in the crab, corn kernels, green onions, hot sauce, salt and pepper. *Cook's Note: If the batter looks too thin, add a little more self-rising flour to thicken.
Using 2 spoons, carefully drop heaping tablespoons of the crab mixture into the oil and fry, turning often for an even golden-brown color and crispness, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Arrange them on a serving platter and season with additional hot sauce, salt, and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.