Steak and Greens
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups beef broth
- 15 cups washed and chopped greens (suggested mix of mustard, turnip and collard)
- 1/2 stick butter
- Steamed white rice, for serving
5 tablespoons all-purpose flourFor the rub:
Mix all ingredients together. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons on sliced steak, tossing to insure the meat is covered. Reserve for later use.
In a cast iron skillet, add flour over low heat. Brown flour, stirring occasionally to avoid burning, about 5 minutes.
Heat heavy 5-quart cast iron pot; over medium heat, add oil. Brown seasoned meat for 2 or 3 minutes, turning once. Add onion and browned flour. Pour 1-cup of broth and stir to combine well. Add some of the greens, and then add more broth. Repeat this until there's no more broth and greens. Lower the heat and cook for 45 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of rub and 1/2 stick of butter. When the butter has melted and greens and meat are tender, transfer to a serving bowl and serve over rice.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine