Steak and Pie
- 1 stick butter, softened, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or cream
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (13 1/4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely diced
- Garlic powder
- Buttered bread crumbs, for topping
- 6 parsley sprigs, for garnish
- 3 pounds beef tenderloin, cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups green onions, sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Special Equipment: 6-cup jumbo muffin tin
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour; then slowly blend in half-and-half, stirring constantly. The sauce should be thick; do not brown the sauce. Add mushroom soup, sliced mushrooms, Parmesan, and egg and stir to combine. Fold in shrimp and add garlic powder, to taste. Pour mixture into pie crusts and top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
While pies are baking, season meat pieces with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and garlic and start browning the meat. Add mushrooms and then remove meat when it reaches your desired doneness; set aside and keep warm. Add green onions and then deglaze the skillet with beef stock, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any flavorful browned bits. Add cream and cook until reduced to sauce consistency. Add beef back to the sauce just prior to serving.
Let pies cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin tin. Place each pie in the center of a dinner plate. Arrange tenderloin chunks around pie, spoon sauce on top, and garnish each with sprig of parsley.