Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 50 min
- 30 min
- 1 hr 20 min
- 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Half an 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Cracked black pepper
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen peas
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Add the sweet potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Sprinkle with salt. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Once melted, add the carrots, celery, onions and parsnips and saute until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the thyme and rosemary, and then add the ground turkey. Cook, while stirring, until the turkey is brown and crumbly, about 8 more minutes.
Add the tomato paste, flour and Worcestershire and stir until well mixed. Stir in the chicken broth, bring to a simmer on medium heat and cook, about 5 minutes. It should look thick and sauce-like.
Meanwhile, drain the sweet potatoes and add them to a large bowl. Combine the potatoes with the cream cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the egg into a small bowl and whisk in a little of the hot potatoes to temper, and then pour the egg mixture into the bowl. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until well combined.
Stir the peas into the turkey mixture. Pour the turkey mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread the sweet potato mixture over the top, using your spoon to make some pretty texture on the top. Bake until lightly browned, about 35 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen