- 3/4 pound smoked meat (smoked turkey wings are excellent)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bunch turnip greens with roots
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional; may be used if greens are bitter)
- Cornmeal Dumplings, recipe follows
Place smoked meat in water along with House Seasoning, bouillon, and ginger. Cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Strip turnip leaves free of the big stem that runs down the center of each leaf. Wash in a sink full of clean water. Drain and wash twice more, since greens can often be sandy. Peel and slice or quarter roots. Add greens to meat; cook for another 30 minutes, stirring often. Add roots and continue to cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until roots are tender. (Reserve 2/3 cup turnip liquid for the dumplings.) Add butter and sugar. Serve with dumplings.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
1 cup all-purpose cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small onion, chopped
2/3 cup liquid from cooked turnips
Mix all ingredients together. Dipping by teaspoonfuls, gently roll batter in the palms of your hands into approximately 1-inch balls; drop into boiling turnip liquid Make sure each dumpling is completely covered in liquid by shaking the pot gently; do not stir. Boil for about 10 minutes.