Wild Rice Salad
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and halved, reserve marinade
- 1 (6-ounce) can green peas
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped, white and green parts
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
- 1 1/3 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
In a 1-quart pot with a lid, bring 2 cups water and the salt to a boil. Add the rice and stir well. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain excess liquid from the rice.
Meanwhile, combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large bowl, combine the rice, artichoke hearts, peas, green pepper, green onions, tomatoes, reserved marinade, and half of the dressing. Toss well. Cover and chill or eat at room temperature. Just before serving, toss again and taste. Add some of the remaining dressing, if desired. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve.