- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup seedless cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup red pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cup freshly minced cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup Tomato Water, recipe follows
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and blend using an immersion blender.
*Cook's Note: If you prefer chunky soup- do not blend all the way. If you prefer smooth soup, blend the vegetables until it's chunk-free.
Mix in the olive oil and vinegar. Add bread crumbs, tomato water, salt and pepper.
Chill for 4 to 8 hours before serving to allow flavors to meld. For extra flair/creativity, hollow out 6 bell peppers to act as the bowls for the soup.
- 1 pound very ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
Combine the tomatoes and the salt in a blender and puree on high until smooth. Place some cheesecloth in a strainer and allow the liquid to slowly drip through. Reserve the liquid.
Yield: about 1 cup