Pea Soup East African Style
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot red pepper flakes to taste, crumbled
- 2 1/2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups fresh green peas (or 1 pound frozen)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
In a large saucepan heat oil and saute onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Add ginger, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, curry powder and saute for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, squash, chicken or vegetable stock and deglaze pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Add 2 cups of the peas and simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes or until peas and squash are tender. Using an immersion blender puree soup in pot. Add remaining peas and reheat. Stir in cilantro. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.