- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup boiling water
Heat oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, add chili paste, curry powder and salt. Stir to combine. Stir in peanut butter, coconut milk, vinegar, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of warm water. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring until the sauce thickens and the peanut butter dissolves.
Add 2 tablespoons of peanuts to the sauce and then transfer it to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding 2 to 4 tablespoons of boiling water to help sauce emulsify. Transfer it to a bowl. Let sauce cool to room temperature. Before serving, garnish with the remaining peanuts. The sauce may be made a day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Bring back to room temperature for 1 hour before serving.