Pear Crisp with Almonds
Recipe courtesy of Fisher® Nuts
"I am always looking for something besides a cake or pie for the holidays and this crisp is surprisingly light. The flavor of the almonds[ with the pears is a winner. The almonds also add a great texture to the topping." - Alex Guarnaschelli]
- The pear filling:
- About 3 pounds Bosc or Anjou pears, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- The topping:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground, dried ginger
- teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) lightly salted butter, cut into cubes plus 1 tablespoon for greasing the baking dish
- 1 cup Fisher® Slivered Almonds, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
3. Topping: Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add the butter and almonds and break them up with your fingers integrating the dry ingredients with the butter and nuts.
4. Grease the bottom and sides of a shallow square baking dish (8 square inches) with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Layer the pears in the dish and top evenly with the nut topping. Place the dish in the center of the oven and bake until the pears are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. The topping should be golden brown as well, about 40-45 minutes. Set aside to cool a few minutes before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.