Pears in Meringue with Chocolate Sauce
- *requires overnight preparation
- 1 tablespoon toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 1 cup glace fruits (preferably cherries, ginger, apricot, fig, and pineapple), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons rum
- 3/8 cup water
- Small piece cinnamon bark
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 4 pears, peeled, halved, and cored
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted, plus more to dust
- 4 squares dark chocolate, chopped
Soak almonds, glace fruit, and 1/4 cup rum together overnight.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine water, cinnamon, and jam in a large saucepan. Boil until well incorporated and syrupy. Reduce heat. Add pears and cook gently for 5 minutes. Remove to an ovenproof dish. Fill cavities with crystallized fruit. Reserve pan syrup, discarding cinnamon bark.
Stir chocolate pieces into warm syrup and add rum.
Serve pears on a heated platter, surrounded with warm chocolate sauce.
A Very Sweet French Dessert
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee