Pecan Sticky Buns
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) very warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 5 1/3 cups (24 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 cups (16 ounces) warm water (90 degrees F)
- 9 tablespoons (4 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (5 ounces) dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (2 3/4 ounces) pecan pieces, toasted
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (2 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Take the caramel-lined pan out of the refrigerator. Cut the log of dough into 9 equal pieces. (It's easiest to mark the roll first to show where you're going to make the cuts--a slight indentation with the knife edge will do--then use a sharp serrated knife to cut completely through the dough.) Lay the pieces cut side down on top of the caramel. Don't worry if it's a tight fit. Let rise, uncovered, at room temperature until the dough has almost doubled, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. The rolls should fill the pan and extend 1/2 to 3/4-inch above it. In the meantime, position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put the pan of sticky buns on a foil-lined baking sheet and place it in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes longer, until the tops of the buns are golden brown and crusty. It's important to bake the buns long enough so the dough is cooked all the way through and the caramel topping develops properly. Set the pan of buns on a rack to cool for 5 minutes. Then quickly but carefully turn the pan upside-down and release the sticky buns onto a large flat heatproof plate. Immediately scrape out any hot caramel remaining in the bottom of the pan and spread it on the tops of the buns, filling in any bare spots. Let them cool until just warm before serving. (Clean the pan by soaking it in very hot water to dissolve the caramel.) Store any leftovers covered in plastic wrap at room temperature.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.