Pennsylvania Dutch Potato and Bread Filling
- 6 large potatoes, cut in pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped small
- Enough vegetable oil for saute
- 8 -10 pieces of old bread, broken into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 4 raw eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 4 -5 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 -2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- Stock from the giblets and neck
- 1/2 stick of butter, cut into pieces
Boil potatoes in salted water. Saute onion and celery in oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Boil the giblets and neck in salted water to make stock.
Moisten bread with milk. Smash the potatoes in a large bowl. (I use a small roasting pan, and then I roast the filling right in it.) Add all other ingredients including all spices and oil from saute. When adding the eggs, add a little of the hot mixture to the eggs first and beat well, so as to not scramble them when they go into the whole mix.
Mix thoroughly. If it needs more moisture, add the stock, a little at a time. Taste to make sure enough spices are added. Add more salt and pepper and poultry seasoning, if needed.
The recipes for this contest, which were provided by contributors who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.