- 1/2 pound callaloo, washed and chopped fine
- 1/2 pound kale, washed and chopped fine
- 1/2 pound corned beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 pound yellow sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, trimmed but whole
- Freshly ground black pepper
Put the callaloo, kale, and beef in stockpot, cover with the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the beef is tender, about 1 hour.
To the callaloo mixture, add the coconut milk, sweet potatoes, potatoes, scallions, thyme, Scotch bonnet, and freshly ground pepper. Bring back to a simmer for 1/2 hour more. Season at the end with the salt, to taste.
Recipe courtesy Cheryl Smith
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse