Peter Merriman's Kama 'Aina Whole Fish Dinner
- 1 whole opakapaka fish, about 2 pounds, cleaned
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chile flakes
- 6 ti leaves* ( banana leaves can be substituted)
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- *"ti" leaves are large Hawaiian Leaves, available at a florist.
Preheat the grill.
Score the whole fish with criss-crossed marks, about 8 or 10, from head to mid-tail. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, ginger, garlic, and chile flakes. Place 2 large pieces of aluminum foil, shiny side down, on a work surface. Place the ti leaves over the aluminum foil, to cover. Rub the mayonnaise mixture all over the fish and place on the ti leaves. Fold the ti leaves over the fish and follow with the aluminum foil to create a tight seal.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.