Pho Bo (Hanoi Beef Noodle Soup)
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (1/4-inch thick) slice ginger
- 2 whole star anise*
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 pound piece boneless beef sirloin, trimmed of any fat
- 3 ounces dried flat rice noodles*
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce*
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 cup minced scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro sprigs, washed and finely chopped
- 1 small thin fresh red or green Asian chilie, sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Lime wedges for garnish
- *Available at Asian Markets
In a 2 quart saucepan bring broth, ginger, star anise, and cinnamon to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
With a very sharp knife cut sirloin across the grain into very thin slices.
In a large bowl soak noodles in hot water to cover 15 minutes, or until softened and pliable.
While noodles are soaking, bring a kettle of salted water to a boil for noodles. Drain noodles in a colander and cook in boiling water, stirring 45 seconds, or until tender. Drain noodles in a colander. Set aside.
To serve, divide noodles into 4 bowls. Ladle soup over noodles. Sprinkle scallion greens, cilantro, chilies and basil over soup and serve with lime wedges