- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 whole carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 thumb-sized pieces fresh ginger, diced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, pounded with the back of knife, then roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 bunch sweet basil, leaves roughly chopped
- 3 jalapenos, roughly chopped
- 2 heaping tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- Salt, to taste
- Spicy vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup sambal oelek
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Suggested medley of roasted vegetables for soup:
- Red pepper
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Fresh spinach
- Snow peas
- "Dragon" noodles, fresh ramen, lo mein, or buckwheat
- Lime wedges, for garnish
DirectionsSuggested medley of roasted vegetables for soup:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a roasting pan place all the ingredients in the oil and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven, transfer into a large pot, and add 1 gallon of cool water. Bring to a simmer. Once at a simmer, add the cilantro, basil, and jalapenos and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and strain. Stir in the sambal, soy sauce, sesame oil and salt, to taste.For the spicy vinaigrette:
Whisk together all ingredients.
Toss desired medley of vegetables with spicy vinaigrette and serve on top of each soup bowl. Garnish with a fresh piece of lime.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.