- 1 1/2 pounds green tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 pound firm red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large Kirby cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canning or non-iodized salt
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne
In large glass bowl, combine all vegetables and salt. Cover and set aside at room temperature 3 hours. In colander, drain vegetables. Rinse quickly with cold water and drain very well.
In large non-aluminum kettle, combine vegetables, vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, and cayenne. Bring mixture to boiling over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, sterilize 4 pint jars, lids, and bands according to manufacturer's directions. Divide Piccalilli among sterilized jars leaving 1/2-inch space at top of jar. Wipe rims of jars to remove any syrup and seal with lids and bands.
Process jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove jars from water bath, tighten lids immediately, and set aside to cool completely. Label jars and store in cool, dry place.
Recipe courtesy of Joanne Lamb Hayes