- 1 pound salt cod
For the aioli:
- 1 whole bulb garlic
- 1 egg yolk*
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large artichokes, blanched in salted water
- 1 head cauliflower, blanched in salted water, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 4 large fingerling or new potatoes, cooked through in salted water, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large red beet, roasted at 400 degrees until tender, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large vine ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 20 green beans, blanched in salted water
- 10 baby carrots, blanched in salted water
- 1 baguette
The salt cod needs to soak in fresh cold water in the refrigerator for 24 hours. The water should be changed several times. Remove from the water and break into pieces. The rest of the components of the platter can be started a day in advance as well. Start with the aioli by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the bulb of garlic in a piece of aluminum foil with a few drops of olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool completely and then squeeze out the garlic into a mixing bowl. Add the egg yolk and slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and put in the refrigerator.
The day of you picnic, simply make sure all the vegetables are in bite size pieces. For the artichoke, clean and cut in half lengthwise. Rub with olive oil and place on a hot grill for about 5 minutes.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.