Pimento and Habenero Mac and Cheese
- One 16-ounce box pasta (your choice)
- 2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup whole milk and 1 cup cream)
- 1 pound shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup your favorite pimento cheese (homemade works best)
- 4 medium habeneros, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the box given for al dente pasta. Drain the pasta and put back in the same pot over low heat. Add the half-and-half, half the Cheddar, the pimento cheese and habaneros. Stir until melted and creamy. Stir in the mustard, salt and pepper. Pour into a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish, top with the remaining Cheddar and sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Bake until golden brown and bubby, about 20 minutes.
Cook's Note: I use sharp Cheddar mostly, but you can you use any mixture of cheese you have on hand. There is no wrong cheese for this recipe.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.