- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 3 cups loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup homemade blender mayonnaise, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup (1 small jar) sliced pimientos with their juice or 1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1/2 small onion, grated (about 1 tablespoon)
- Cayenne pepper
- Blender Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 teaspoon prepared
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Mix together all the ingredients except for the cayenne. Season to taste with cayenne.
*Pimiento cheese is a staple of picnics and lunches throughout the South. It is spread on sandwiches, used as dip, and stuffed into celery ribs.
Note: A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.Blender Mayonnaise:
Put mustard, salt and egg in a blender and blend for about 20 seconds. Add the oil very slowly, in droplets, and blend until all of the oil has been bound with the egg mixture and the mayonnaise is thick and creamy. Add the lemon juice and blend briefly to incorporate.
Yield: about 1 cup
Recipe courtesy John Martin Taylor, author Hoppin' John's Lowcountry Cooking
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen