Plums and Peaches in Blueberry Vanilla Syrup
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, picked over if fresh
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white or red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, halved crosswise
- 1 pound ripe, juicy plums, cut into eighths
- 2 pounds ripe, juicy peaches or nectarines, pitted and cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, wine and water. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean pieces into the pan; add the vanilla bean pieces to the pan. Set over medium heat, partially cover and bring to a brisk simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced and is slightly syrupy, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer the syrup to a heat proof bowl and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Remove the vanilla bean pieces from the syrup. In a food processor, puree the syrup.
In a large bowl, stir together the plums, peaches, syrup and lemon juice. The dessert can be served immediately or it can be refrigerated for up to 1 hour.
Spoon the fruit mixture into dessert bowls, dividing the syrup evenly and using it all. Sprinkle each portion with some of the mint and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.