Poi Blini with Smoked Salmon"Lomi Lomi" and Dill Creme Fraiche
- Dill Creme Fraiche:
- 1 1/2 cups creme fraiche
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- Poi Blini:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup peeled, steamed, and mashed taro root
- 2 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 3 tablespoons ikura (salmon roe)
- 3 tablespoons daikon sprouts
- 3 tablespoons micro greens (tiny mixed salad greens)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
First, make the Dill Creme Fraiche. In a non-reactive mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
For the Poi Blini, in a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and fresh herbs. Stir in the buttermilk, milk, and egg. Fold in the melted butter and the mashed taro. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
To make the blini, heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spoon the batter onto the griddle 2 tablespoons at a time to form 3-inch pancakes and cook them until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side, flipping them over when bubbles appear on the top. You should have a total of 16 blini.
Put 2 poi blini on each serving plate. Spread them with the creme fraiche. Drape smoked salmon over each blini. Garnish with ikura, daikon sprouts, and micro greens, then drizzle lightly with olive oil. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, 2002