- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- 10 ounces package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- Salt and pepper
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, broth, corn and chilies. Bring the liquid to a simmer then cover the pan and cook gently over low heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile rinse and mince the cilantro.
While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle the cornmeal into the simmering soup, Simmer gently uncovered until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir the bottom on occasion to make sure the cornmeal isn't sticking.
VARIATION -You can enrich it with cubed smoked ham or roasted pork