Recipe courtesy Mark A. Karczewski
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 30 min
- 10 min
- 6 servings
- 3 blood oranges or regular oranges
- 3 lemons
- 3 limes
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more to taste if needed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 gold pineapple, or regular pineapple if gold is unavailable, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1 large sweet red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 large star fruit, sliced
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Grate 1 teaspoon zest each from an orange, lemon and lime, and add to a medium saucepan. Juice oranges, lemons and limes into saucepan, reserving 2 tablespoons juice in a small bowl. Add sugar. Stir to combine, adding more sugar to taste, if necessary. Bring to boil. Whisk cornstarch with reserved juice until smooth. Whisk into saucepan, and simmer until mixture is thickened. Set aside.
Form beef into 6 patties. Season with salt and pepper.
Grill burgers, along with pineapple, bell peppers and onion slices. Grill burgers, turning once, until cooked to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side. Cook pineapple, peppers and onions, turning once, until both sides have distinct grill marks and peppers and onions have softened slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
To build burgers, place 1 onion slice on the bottom half of bun, followed by burger, pineapple, and peppers. Drizzle with sauce. Place a thin slice of star fruit on top. Serve any additional onion, pineapple, peppers or starfruit on the side as garnish.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.