Pomegranate and Bitter Green Salad
- 1/8 cup walnuts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Approximately 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Approximately 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Champagne
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- 3/4 cup cleaned and chopped endive
- 3/4 cup cleaned and chopped arugula
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into small dice
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and cut into small dice
- 1 ripe avocado , sliced
- Crumbled blue cheese, for garnish
- Pomegranate seeds from 1/2 pomegranate, for garnish
Place the walnuts in a small saute pan with the sherry and sugar. Cook over high in heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the sherry and sugar caramelize on the walnuts. Set aside to cool.
To make dressing, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, champagne, mustard, and sea salt in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
Place the lettuces into the bowl, top with the mango and pear, drizzle with about 1/2 of the dressing, and toss. Then add avocado slices, crumbled pieces of blue cheese, candied walnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
Drizzle the remaining dressing and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Cindy Finkle