Pomegranate and Bitter Green Salad
- 1/8 cup walnuts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Approximately 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Approximately 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Champagne
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- 3/4 cup cleaned and chopped endive
- 3/4 cup cleaned and chopped arugula
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and cut into small dice
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and cut into small dice
- 1 ripe avocado , sliced
- Crumbled blue cheese, for garnish
- Pomegranate seeds from 1/2 pomegranate, for garnish
Place the walnuts in a small saute pan with the sherry and sugar. Cook over high in heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the sherry and sugar caramelize on the walnuts. Set aside to cool.
To make dressing, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, champagne, mustard, and sea salt in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
Place the lettuces into the bowl, top with the mango and pear, drizzle with about 1/2 of the dressing, and toss. Then add avocado slices, crumbled pieces of blue cheese, candied walnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
Drizzle the remaining dressing and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Cindy Finkle
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell