- Marinade and lamb:
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 lamb rib chops, totally trimmed
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves, broken
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- Garnish: fresh pomegranate seeds, optional
- Pomegranate Au jus:
- 1/2 plus 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 cups rich lamb or chicken stock
DirectionsMarinade and lamb:
Rub the lamb chops with the salt, pepper and rosemary leaves evenly. Combine all of the remaining ingredients in non-reactive dish. Add the chops and turn over in the mixture a few times. Cover and refrigerate up to four hours ahead of time.Pomegranate Au jus:
Heat a medium sized saucepan on medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and the olive oil. When the butter melts add the shallots and garlic. Allow to cook until lightly cooked, (about 3 minutes), stirring frequently so that the garlic doesn't burn. Now add the pomegranate juice and vinegar. Reduce by half. Add the stock and reduce, skimming as necessary until the sauce will coat the back of a spoon, (about 15 minutes). Remove from the heat and strain the sauce through a fine meshed strainer. Reserve in a small saucepan while you cook the chops.
Heat a grill or grill pan to fairly high heat.
Remove the lamb from the marinade and reason them with a touch of salt and pepper. Grill about four minutes on each side.
Reheat the pomegranate Au jus. When is it just under a boil, whisk in the
remaining butter. Divide the sauce between the four plates and center the chops on the sauce. Serve.