Pork Chili Verde
- 6 pounds lean pork
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or lard
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 8 medium poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 4 large jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 3 pounds fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
Trim off any excess fat from the pork and cut into 2 inch squares. In a large (6 to 8 quart) stock pot, over a high heat, sear the pork in the vegetable oil until golden brown. Remove the pork from the pot and pour off any oil or fat drippings, but leave 2 tablespoons of oil. In the same pot, over a medium heat, add the chopped onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until transparent. Add the cumin, pork, and chicken stock, and cook for 1/2 hour.
Add the poblanos, jalapenos, and bell peppers. Puree the tomatillos and cilantro in a blender. Add them to the pot and cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with white beans and rice. Garnish with grated sharp white cheddar cheese.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.