Pork Mimi's Way, Yucatan Style: Cochinita Pibil
- 1 cup fresh sour orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons achiote paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 pounds pork (use 2 thick shoulder steaks cut into large pieces with a few short ribs or pork butt)
Prepare marinade with the orange juice, vinegar, achiote, garlic, and salt, to taste, and mix thoroughly. Rub the mixture into the meat and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, or refrigerated, for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Line a roaster pan with heavy foil and arrange the marinated pork in it, covering the meat with the marinade. Cover pan with foil tightly and bake for 2 to 3 hours. Check often and turn pieces of meat in their own juices. Roasting times vary according to the toughness of the meat.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron Sanchez