- 11 ounces short spare ribs, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried ginseng*
- 1 teaspoon dried lotus seeds*
- 1 teaspoon dried goji berries*
- 1 teaspoon dried black prune*
- 1 teaspoon dried lilly petals*
- 1 teaspoon dried longon*
- 1 teaspoon dried white vegetable root*
- 1 teaspoon pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dried raisins
- Steamed jasmine rice, for serving
- *Can be found at specialty Asian and Indian markets and online.
In a mixing bowl, rub the pork ribs with salt.
In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to the boil.
Pour water in the clay pot until it reaches 2-inches above the level of the pork, about 1 1/2 to 2 cups water.
With the lid on, carefully place the enclosed clay pot into the simmering water making sure the hot water is level with the top of the clay pot. Put the lid on and simmer for 3 hours.
Carefully remove the clay pot from the simmering water and serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Cook's Note: You can purchase the herbs from your local Chinese herbalist.