Porterhouse and Potatoes alla Mamma
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cut into fourths, lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 (12-ounce) porterhouse steaks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 lemons, halved
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the potatoes, in a small bowl mix the bread crumbs, 1/2-cup olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper together.
Cover potatoes generously with bread crumb mixture. Place slices on a sheet pan and cook potatoes for 1 hour. After an hour, remove from the oven and sprinkle shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan on top of the potatoes.
To make the steaks, preheat the broiler. Put the steaks in the broiler pan and coat on both sides with the olive oil, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder. Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper.
Broil the steaks for 5 minutes, then turn, and cook the second side for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and let rest while you finish the potatoes.
Adjust the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and put the potatoes back in. Cook until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Squeeze a half of lemon on each steak and serve with the potatoes.