- 8 to 9 small to medium size portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- Olive oil for grilling
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 to 6 medium- sized yukon gold potatoes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch scallions sliced thin, approximately 1/2 cup
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 cups mesclun greens for garnish
- 1 small red onion sliced very thin
- 1 small bunch chives, cut into 2-inch sticks
Toss portobello mushrooms in olive oil for grilling and add salt and pepper to taste.
Apply to heat source gill side down until they sweat, about 2 minutes. Turn over and finish cooking. Remove from grill and toss in 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar to marinate. Do not cover: mushrooms will absorb flavor as they cool.
Brush ears of corn with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Grill approximately 4 to 5 minutes, rotating corn to prevent burning. When cool enough to handle remove kernels with knife and reserve for garnish.
On a plate lay a small amount of mesclun in center for underliner, place first portobello down and apply small amount of mashed potatoes as second layer. Repeat until third portobello is top layer, with two layers of mashed potatoes in between. Garnish around plate with roasted corn and chive sticks and red onion. Do not overcrowd plates. Using a spoon drizzle balsamic reduction on top of tower and around plate.