Portuguese Green Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice (or left over cooked potatoes)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 pound chorizo, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound kale, rinsed, trimmed, and shredded
Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes longer (of using left over cooked potatoes omit this step). Stir in chicken broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are softened, about 15 minutes.
With a potato masher, mash potatoes directly in saucepan. (If using left over potatoes add them now and mash). Add sausage, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer about 5 minutes. Add kale and simmer until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes longer.
Recipe courtesy Georgia Downard
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse