Portuguese Sausage-Kale Soup
- 6 ounces turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh kale, washed, or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped kale, thawed and drained
- 2 cans (13 3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
Saute kielbasa, onion and garlic in oil in large pot over medium-low heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
If using fresh kale, cut off stems and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Keep stem pieces separate. Coarsely chop fresh leaves.
Add to the pot the chicken broth, 4 cups water, carrot, marjoram, salt, pepper and sliced fresh kale stems or frozen kale, if using. Bring to boiling. Lower heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes longer. If using fresh kale, add the leaves at this point along with the rice to the pot. Bring to boiling. Lower the heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Recipe courtesy of Family Circle Magazine