Potato Cheese Comfort Casserole
- 3 1/2 lbs russet potatoes
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 onion, sliced in half, cut side down
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
- 1/4 lb provelone or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 lb thin-sliced Italian salami, cut in 1 inch pieces (try Genoa, Mortadella, or Soprassata)
- 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
- 1/2 -1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350. Slice 1/3 off the top of the garlic heads, brush with olive oil and wrap each head individually in foil. Butter and bread-crumb 2 qt. casserole dish with high sides (6 inches or higher).
Pierce the potatoes with a fork or knife tip and place on a baking sheet along with the garlic and onion. Bake for one hour, or until potatoes are soft. Mash potatoes in a large bowl or use a standing mixer.
Add squeezed-out garlic and onion and mix till fairly smooth. Add cream, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Grate Parmesan, shred other cheeses.
Spoon about 2/3 of the potatoes into the prepared casserole dish, pressing potato mixture up sides. Layer salami, soft cheeses, half the Parmesan and half the breadcrumbs on top of the potatoes.
Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining potato mix, sprinkle with rest of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake on cookie sheet one and a half hours. Let cool a bit before spooning out.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.