Potato Latkes with Smoked Salmon, Creme Fraiche, and American Farmed Caviar
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- Lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Smoked salmon, thinly sliced, for topping
- Creme fraiche, for garnish
- American farmed caviar, for garnish
Grate potatoes and onion on the large holes of a box grater. Splash with lemon juice and squeeze out excess water.
Mix flour, milk, egg, baking powder, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add to the potatoes and then add the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough peanut oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Drop in spoonfuls of batter for form small cakes and fry until golden on 1 side. Flip, and cook the same way on the other side.
Top each latke with smoked salmon, creme fraiche, and American farmed caviar.