Potato Latkes with Smoked Salmon, Creme Fraiche, and American Farmed Caviar
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- Lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Smoked salmon, thinly sliced, for topping
- Creme fraiche, for garnish
- American farmed caviar, for garnish
Grate potatoes and onion on the large holes of a box grater. Splash with lemon juice and squeeze out excess water.
Mix flour, milk, egg, baking powder, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add to the potatoes and then add the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough peanut oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Drop in spoonfuls of batter for form small cakes and fry until golden on 1 side. Flip, and cook the same way on the other side.
Top each latke with smoked salmon, creme fraiche, and American farmed caviar.
Recipe courtesy of Wolfgang Puck
Recipe courtesy of Eric Greenspan